HISTORY

Wooling Hill Memorial Estate aims to conserve the historical significance of its predecessors, and to ensure that future generations will be able to connect with the places, values, traditions and experiences that capture their heritage. The living landscape of the Estate provides homage to the past from which we have come from, and to the future that we seek to build as a community.

Wooling Hill Memorial Estate acknowledges the ongoing spiritual and cultural connection that the traditional custodians, the Wurundjeri peoples have with the land.

We pay our respects to the Elders past, present and emerging, for they hold the memories, the traditions, the culture and hopes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across the nation.

Wooling Hill Memorial Garden Estate itself has many memories. It is said that the name ‘Wooling’ comes originally from the Aboriginal word ‘Woolong’ meaning “much water coming together”. This is now reflected by the lakes and water features which appear across the developing estate.

The Robertson family established the estate in 1840 – it was one of the earliest settlements in the district and as the Robertson children had families of their own, Wooling Hill came to resemble a small village. The nine-acre orchard and four-acre kitchen garden fed the family well.

The family cemetery still stands at Wooling Hill, marked in the fashion of those times, by Italian cypresses and a hand-made post and rail-fence.

The Wooling Hill Memorial Estate was opened in 2000 by developer Wayne Davies. In 2009 Roger, a Wooling Hill director, purchased the estate with his partner Helen becoming custodians of this historical piece of land after many years.

In early 2020 Melbourne funeral directors, Troy and Liddy Upfield purchased the estate and continue the work by its past owners.

Wooling Hill Memorial Estate acknowledges the ongoing spiritual and cultural connection that the traditional custodians, the Wurundjeri peoples have with the land.

We pay our respects to the Elders past, present and emerging, for they hold the memories, the traditions, the culture and hopes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across the nation.

Wooling Hill Memorial Garden Estate itself has many memories. It is said that the name ‘Wooling’ comes originally from the Aboriginal word ‘Woolong’ meaning “much water coming together”. This is now reflected by the lakes and water features which appear across the developing estate.

The Robertson family established the estate in 1840 – it was one of the earliest settlements in the district and as the Robertson children had families of their own, Wooling Hill came to resemble a small village. The nine-acre orchard and four-acre kitchen garden fed the family well.

The family cemetery still stands at Wooling Hill, marked in the fashion of those times, by Italian cypresses and a hand-made post and rail-fence.

The Wooling Hill Memorial Estate was opened in 2000 by developer Wayne Davies. In 2009 Roger, a Wooling Hill director, purchased the estate with his partner Helen becoming custodians of this historical piece of land after many years.

In early 2020 Melbourne funeral directors, Troy and Liddy Upfield purchased the estate and continue the work by its past owners.

FOLLOW US

ENQUIRIES